There are wide choice of tools available for mobile automation. Some of them are free, some are rather expensive. Some automation tools were created years ago and died over the time; some have just appeared in the market. Each tool is unique and possesses certain characteristics.
Wide choice of available automation tools makes it difficult to select the most suitable one for your project.
Recently for one of our mobile automation requirement I conducted the detailed study of different available automation tools. Below is the criteria which was used to evaluate the mobile automation tools
1. Support for Android and iOS
2. Support for Web, Native and Hybrid apps
3. Script re-usability/portability
5. Support for real device and emulators
6. User community
7. Activeness of the tool development
8. Scripting languages support
9. Need to compile app along with user agent
10. License type
Based on the above points below is the chart which shows the detailed comparison of tools
Apart from the above mentioned tools there are some tools which are specific to Android/iOS platforms.
Android Specific Tools
iOS Specific Tools